I am updating this post from 2 years ago for my sister Judy, who just had one of her dear dogs diagnosed with a tumor. The vet said to “keep an eye on it.” But this sparked my memory that turmeric has strong anti-tumor properties. A wonderful article in Dogs Naturally Magazine details how to use turmeric in dogs, and why it is so effective.
But two years ago I wrote:
I recently went face down on some wet leaves chasing my dogs. Not fun for a 67 year old. I was actually very lucky – nothing broken. But I was in tremendous pain in my face, shoulders, knees, ankles — basically everywhere. I was concerned about inflammation so my friend and neighbor who is a nurse gave me an aspirin (haven’t had any in the house for over ten years). Turns out I don’t tolerate aspirin – it gave me tremendous gerd all night long (oh yeah, that’s why I stopped having it in the house). So I turned to my spice cabinet.
Turmeric, which is the leading spice in curry (which I love and eat lots of) is a pain and inflammation reducer. So, in addition to my beloved curries, I am now including turmeric in everything I can, even if only an insignificant dash that doesn’t add to the flavor. In so doing, I am building up the curcumin (the active component) in my system.
Just a few delicious ways you can easily incorporate turmeric in your diet (aside from yummy curries):
- Toasted/grilled cheese on bread with turmeric sprinkled on top
- Squash or carrot soup with a healthy (literally) dose of turmeric
- Scrambled eggs with turmeric
- Dips for vegetable crudites
- Smoothies and lattes (recipes abound on the Internet)
- Yogurt based sauces for vegetables, fish, chicken, beef and pork
- Cooked rice of any type is improved with turmeric added
- Marinades or rubs for meats
- Salad dressings
- Add to cooked/roasted vegetables such as cauliflower, carrots, potatoes
- Add to the spice brine for homemade pickles
I encourage you to start incorporating this incredible spice in your diet on a daily basis. Also research for yourself the many peer-reviewed studies of its effects on cancer, diabetes, depression and many other illnesses and be amazed. And if you have a special way to use turmeric, let me know!